Sunday, March 1, 2009

I spent approximately 6 weeks at the airport and am now primarily at TSA’s Phoenix Headquarters. My main go-to-person is an admin assistant named Wes. Wes is an absolutely fantastic mentor, very out-going and incredibly knowledgeable about the whole organization. On my first day at Headquarters we put together a schedule that looks something like this:

Sun – S.O.C.C.
Mon - Other
Tue - Other
Wed - Other
Thu – HR Satellite Office @ the Airport
Fri - Other
Sat – S.O.C.C.

S.O.C.C. -> Stands for The Security Operations Communications Center (located at PHX Headquarters)

Other -> 4 days a week Wes will either have me tag along with him, give me things to do, or I’ll shadow someone else from the office.

HR Satellite Office -> The HR Department has an office at the Airport where someone is stationed Monday through Friday. Everyone is on a rotational schedule, so one day a finance person may be there and the following a benefits person.

So far my schedule is working out really well, minus the fact that I’m still spending 65 hours a week working in Phoenix. It has been great working with Wes because his cubicle is at the very front of the office next to the FSD’s office. (Federal Security Director, the highest TSA post in AZ) What this means for me is that any traffic in the office goes by his area, this translates to hearing about any and everything. Likewise, since Wes works directly for the FSD and the AFSD (Assistant Federal Security Director) I have been able to observe Management (and yes, essentially Tourism Management) in motion. I can’t even begin to describe how fascinating it has been to encounter classroom terminology/concepts in an actual workplace setting .

No comments:

Post a Comment