Thursday, March 19, 2009

Today was a BIG day because the new FSD (Federal Security Director) arrived in Arizona today. We have an FSD right now (Jim) but he isn’t permanent, he just came to AZ to sort of transition between the last FSD and the incoming one. On Thursdays my schedule has me at the HR Satellite Office located at the Airport. Well, when I arrived at the Satellite office there was a sign that read “at FSD meeting”. After a quick call to Wes it turned out that the majority of FSD staff members were going to be meeting the new FSD at 9am. Wes said I should try and attend the meeting, but I didn’t arrive at Headquarters on time! When I arrived everyone was already seated and I would have had to walk right past the new FSD and most likely interrupt his speech just to enter the room. So I did a somewhat bitter stroll back to the front desk. I had so been looking forward to meeting the new FSD!

Well, before leaving I dropped in to the SOCC to discuss several things and to my surprise the new FSD was standing in the middle of the room! Apparently he had gotten a mini-tour of the SOCC and was in the process of meeting everyone working there today. I couldn’t just stroll up to him and introduce myself, never mind interrupting everyone else, so I just tried blending in to the background. As the FSD was on his way out of the SOCC he apparently spotted me, came back to where I was at, and made it a point of introducing himself. I managed a handshake, uttered my own name, and that was it. Someone else from the SOCC mentioned that I am an intern and the FSD chimed in that he had actually been wondering if TSA had a program that catered to interns. It sounded as if he was quite keen on the idea!

So even though I missed the original introductory meeting I still got to meet the new FSD and everything turned out quite well. After my shift at the FSO (Federal Security Office) I went to the Airport to complete my regular shift at the checkpoint; several times I might have let it slip that I had already met the new FSD earlier in the day. Maybe it’s just me, but meeting the new FSD during his first (official) 4 hours in PHX seems like a big deal to me! :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment