Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Today I went to a networking lunch with two other girls from the Office (Rochelle & Malisa). Once a month administrative assistants employed by various State and Federal agencies meet to socialize while simultaneously networking. I debated asking Rochelle and Malisa how these networking lunches had started but another admin. assistant actually answering my question while we were having lunch. She told me that by networking on occasion and getting to know people from other departments and agencies, if we should every have to work together, we would already have a point of contact. It sounds silly, but as soon as she explained her theory to me, a little light bulb went on.

All State and Federal agencies undoubtedly have each other’s contact information, but it would make such a big difference to have a point of contact.

TSA needs to work with Law Enforcement
TSA -> calls LE phone number -> speaks to LE person
Bill from TSA -> calls Jane from LE -> discusses situation

So that’s a crude explanation, but I think you get the general idea. I think networking lunches like the one I attended can be incredibly beneficial. I know it may seem odd to “waste” time on a seemingly silly socializing lunch that is on the clock so to speak, but you have to be able to look past the occasional gossiping and dinning to realize that connections are being made that would take much longer in a normal work setting. We all know that it is easier to make a connection outside of a rigid work environment when people are more at ease.

No comments:

Post a Comment